iOS App Debugging with Charles: install certificate
By: Slav Kurochkin
Most of the time you will need to install ssl certificate, here is how you do it:
1. Read documentations provided by developer:
- First install SSL Certificate
First set your iOS device to use Charles as its HTTP proxy in the Settings app > Wifi settings. Then open Safari and browse to http://www.charlesproxy.com/charles.crt. Safari will then prompt you to install the SSL certificate. Now you should be able to access SSL websites with Charles using SSL Proxying.
- Then you need to enable SSL Proxying
2. If it is still not quite comprehensive follow the instruction:
First Download and unzip the Charles CA Certificate bundle.
Then you need to add certificate:
- open Charles
- Navigate to Help
- Install Charles CA SSL Certificate
Now you will basically open Keychain Access on the Mac, once it opened add certificate.
For applications which using https you will need to find server where it pointing and enable SSL proxy.
- Make sure Proxy Setting is enabled
- Open Proxy in navigation bar and click on Proxy Settings
- Once Settings opened switch tab to SSL
- Check “Enable SSL proxying”, if it is not checked
- Make sure you have your app in the Location list
- Click “ok” and restart Charles